North Carolina's First Wireless Community
Wireless Winston is striving to facilitate a state-of-the-art communications solution for Winston-Salem and Forsyth County.
Wireless Winston is endorsed and supported by all WinstonNet members: City of Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem State University, Salem College, North Carolina School of the Arts, Forsyth Technical Community College, Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School, and the Winston-Salem Chamber of Commerce.
Wireless Winston is endorsed and supported by the largest corporations in the city: Wachovia Bank, Sara Lee Corp, R.J. Reynolds, Novant Health, BB&T, Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice Attorneys, Allegacy Federal Credit Union Flow Motors and Aladdin Travel.
What You Should Know about Wireless Winston
- Wireless Winston is an outgrowth of a long-established collaborative project to position Winston-Salem/Forsyth County as a leader in the key technologies of the future. The goal is the creation of a comprehensive, community wireless network to further establishes Winston-Salem as a national model.
- As the Winston-Salem community transitions from a textiles-based economy to an information-based economy, Wireless Winston supports the strategic goal of bringing high-tech manufacturing and bio-tech to the community.
- A community wireless network is a fundamental technology enabling mobile access to the Internet - a critical element for commerce, learning, and entertainment in the future.
- WinstonNet, being composed of non-profit organizations in the community, has a strong commitment to providing affordable technology access to the disadvantaged. This Digital Inclusion is a critical element of the Wireless Winston RFP and would not happen without the principal members of the community standing up for it.
- Wireless Winston will include plans for low-cost or free wireless service throughout the city of Winston-Salem, and methods for placing computer equipment into low and moderate-income households. All 44 WinstonNet computer labs will be provided with free wireless access.
- WinstonNet's partnership with the leading members of our business community in the creation of the Wireless Winston RFP will attract the best price, best technology and most comprehensive coverage possible for citizens of Winston-Salem and eventually Forsyth County.
- Wireless Winston will be of no cost to WinstonNet or its member organizations. No city or taxpayer dollars will be used.